Auburn State Bank is a locally owned and operated, independent bank with two locations in the center of Nemaha County, Nebraska. We make our decisions locally with a focus on doing what’s best for our customers and our community, and we take great pride in providing the products our customer’s desire with a level of personal service that is unmatched.
Articles of Incorporation for “The German-American Bank” were filed with the Nemaha County Clerk on December 20, 1905. Paid up capital was $25,000.00. The original stockholders were: Peter Berlet (President), C.E. Ord (Vice-President), J.M. Wright (Cashier), Fred Lampe, Sr. and H.C. Kleckner. Initially, the bank rented space near the Courthouse in Auburn and then moved to its newly constructed building at 1920 O Street on July 6, 1906.
On January 15, 1918, R.W. Dirks (Cashier since December 15, 1911) filed notice with the State Banking Board changing the bank name to “The Auburn State Bank”.
In 1935, a decision was made to relocate to the North business district of Auburn, moving into the old Nemaha County Bank Building at 1217 J Street. In 1938, the bank moved into larger quarters at 1202 J Street and remained there for 33 years.
An agreement to transfer all of the accounts of the Bank of Nemaha to the Auburn State Bank was signed by the directors of each institution on June 25, 1943.
On January 2, 1946, majority ownership was transferred from Adah Wells to Vergil Lehr and James Grant Jr. At that time R.W. Dirks resigned as Cashier and Managing Officer after 34 years of service to the bank and V.E. Warren assumed these duties.
On March 28, 1971, the bank moved to its newly constructed building at 1212 J Street. A new Drive Through building was opened at 1012 13th Street in February of 1994. Extensive remodeling of the main banking facility was completed in May of 2000. The former Glen Drug Store was purchased in April 2001 and the bank further expanded into that building.
On October 15, 2015 a legal merger was completed with Carson National Bank, also located in Auburn. The Carson National Bank charter was retired after 128 years serving the local area. Combined, Total Assets grew to $170 million with $27 million in Total Capital. The “Main Bank” location continues to be at 1212 J Street with the prior Carson National Bank location of 2301 Dahlke Avenue becoming the “South Branch”.